PRINCIPLES OF ART: Balance, emphasis, movement, proportion,
rhythm, unity, and variety; the means an artist uses to organize
elements within a work of art. Using the elements of art as building blocks to create art, artist can apply 2 or more principles of art when making an artwork.
This unit will be in two parts. Part on will be the sketchbook project adding a design page for each principle. Part two includes making a stencil that can be used to make a book.
Classroom Assignment: In your sketchbook, students will create a design page for each of the follow Principles of Art below. Each page must include a Title, definition, and required visual representations.
- Unity/Variety: Draw or find a visual example of Unity and Variety.
- Balance: Draw a visual examples of symmetrical, asymmetrical, and radial design. Define all types of balance.
- Emphasis (Contrast): create a contrast black and white design, emphasis with color, and emphasis using size.
- Movement- draw and find examples of movement in art (two examples).
- Proportion/Scale- Take a photo of something in “normal” scale and then another photo of something out of proportion. Find an example of scale/proportion.
- Rhythm/Repetition- create or find a visual example of static, active, and directional rhythm. Write definition for the three types of rhythm.