Based on Artist Kehinde Wiley.
Step 1: Research and Readings
Read and Answer questions about Byzantine, Romanesque, and Gothic art periods.
We will go over the slide show together to answer the questions.
Step 2: Inspiration for Drawing
After learning about Kehinde Wiley process and inspiration, create a design in your sketchbook for your background that reflects the style of Byzantine, Romanesque, or Gothic. Make the design on a separate page in your sketchbook.
Video on Kehinde Wiley Artwork
Step 3: Creating your drawing
This is a colored pencil design drawing using composition, shading, and color.
Kehinde Wiley’s portraiture is the basis for this assignment. Composition, color combinations and patterns will be used to create this work.
- Using a piece of scrap paper, practice using the colored pencils by layering colors and pushing hard enough to get a solid strong color.
- Choose an insect, no butterflies or moths. Make sure you have a photo of the insect that is clear and you can see the whole insect.
- Plan your drawing. First, print out your bug making sure it is filling the page. Using the grid drawing method, make 1-inch square grid on your image. Then, in your sketchbook make a 1.5 inch or 2-inch square grid on a clean sheet of paper. We will be enlarging the bug to fit the paper size. Talk to the teacher to see which grid size works for your drawing.
- Using a pencil, sketch the insect and designs lightly on your final paper, follow the grid.
- Begin shading with colored pencil, layering colors results in totally different colors.