Step 1: Research and Readings
Read and Answer questions about Byzantine, Romanesque, and Gothic art periods.
We will go over the slide show together to answer the questions.
Step 2: Inspiration for Drawing
After learning about Kehinde Wiley process and inspiration, create a design in your sketchbook for your background that reflects the style of Byzantine, Romanesque, or Gothic. Make the design on a separate page in your sketchbook.
Step 3: Creating your drawing
This is a colored pencil design drawing using composition, shading, and color.
Kehinde Wiley’s portraiture is the basis for this assignment. Composition, color combinations and patterns will be used to create this work.
- Using a piece of scrap paper, practice using the colored pencils by layering colors and pushing hard enough to get a solid strong color.
- Choose an insect, no butterflies or moths. Make sure you have a photo of the insect that is clear and you can see the whole insect.
- Plan your drawing. First, print out your bug making sure it is filling the page. Using the grid drawing method, make 1-inch square grid on your image. Then, in your sketchbook make a 1.5 inch or 2-inch square grid on a clean sheet of paper. We will be enlarging the bug to fit the paper size. Talk to the teacher to see which grid size works for your drawing.
- Using a pencil, sketch the insect and designs lightly on your final paper, follow the grid.
- Begin shading with colored pencil, layering colors results in totally different colors.
Students will use a variety of color pencil techniques discussed in the class. Use the tutorial video below to get a reminder about what we discussed in class.
If students want to explore with blending some more, they can use a rubbing alcohol or a Prismcolor blender. (Note: you will have to go a get those items on your own.)
- The whole paper should be colored. No white spaces unless it is intentional, which means it is part of a technique or a highlight value.
An excellent drawing will show the insect in an interesting way, will be totally colored with strong smooth colors. The design on the background will complement the patterns on the insect.